Over the last few years, I have noticed October tends to be my favorite month of the year. That has held true this year as well. I have had so many good experiences this month. I think this has been my favorite month of my mission so far.
The space key isn't working so well, so I'll just have to do without and hope you understand. (Dad put spaces in all of the rest of the letter for readability, it all came without spaces!)
Where to start?
I guess I'll start yesterday, and work my way back. Yesterday we had a big combined district meeting with the zone leaders and the Sisters serving in KL. It was a lot of fun.It is Elder Peter's last week. He gave an awesome training.
After district meeting, we met up with John. I first met John in the train station last week. When we walked in and were about to buy tickets, I noticed a large group of very large men. There were 5 guys, most of them about 6'3" and very muscular. I was really curious where they were from. So curious that I quickly bought a ticket and followed them on the train they were going on, without really caring where that would take us.
As it happened, they are a group of professional rugby players for a local club named cobra. They are from Fiji. I talked to the smallest one,John. He had a flower in his ear. I asked him about the flower, and he said they were on their way to perform some traditional music and dance at a wedding. I was a little worried he didn't quite understand what we were out to do, but he understood just fine, and taught him about the Book of Mormon. He'll be leaving for a tournament in Sandakan this week, but we'll see over the next few weeks how he does with it.
Wang Song finally decided to be baptized last night. After teaching him about the word of wisdom and the importance of following a prophet, we were talking to him about how his prayers have been. He said he had come to the point where he believed in Jesus Christ and the Church, but he still wasn't ready to commit to something as big as baptism. After some further encouragement, he gave us analogy "I feel like a kid who has a rotten tooth. He know she needs to go to the doctor to have it taken out. He knows there is no use waiting. But he is still afraid of the doctor, and he puts it off." We kept pushing him, and he asked us "Do I have to decide now?" We told him we couldn't force him, but he would be much better off if he did decide now. He did.
Jordan, a former investigator from Botswana, cameback to Malaysia this week. He called us up, anxious to meet with us and ask us some questions. After resolving his anxiety regarding his brother having died without being baptized, he also decided to be baptized. He is worried he won't be able to overcome the strong pull his old church has on him, but he is determined to try.
We've been meeting a lot of people from Myanmar lately. I'm not quite sure what's going on there, but there are a bunch of Myanmar Christian people from Chin State here with refugee cards from the UN. It's really tough, because I don't think we have The Book of Mormon in Burmese yet. In fact, the only thing we had access to was a pamphlet with Joseph Smith's testimony in it. Elder Judd's father just sent him a couple of copies of the Gospel Principles manual in Burmese, so that should help tremendously.
Happy Halloween.
Love, Elder Muffler
Last P-Day we went to a huge Hindu temple at Batu Caves. Here is a picture with a statue at the entrance. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_Caves for more information on the Batu Caves and Hindu Shrine.





No comments:
Post a Comment