Transfers have given us a bit of a shock again. I am back to PJ1/PJ2. My companion is Elder Rajah-Kanagasabai. He wanted me to tell you he is a crazy, short Sri Lankan man. He has been in the field for 8 months, and spent his whole time in one area in Kuching, Sarawak. Actually, his grandparents are from Sri Lanka but moved to Malaysia, then his parents were born in Malaysia but moved to Australia, so he was born and raised in Perth, Australia. He's a really awesome Elder, very smart and hard working. He'll be an excellent companion. I'm sure we'll get a lot done together.
I keep meeting people from all over the place. My list of countries I've met people from grew with the addition of England and St. Vincent, an island in the Pacific.
We went to meet Lucy, the Guatamalan maid. The boss isn't quite ready to listen, but she is all about Lucy coming to church. Apparently, Lucy is from a very poor family, and is a relative to her boss, and needed somewhere to work, and her family needed money, so it all worked out. Lucy speaks next to no english: just what she has picked up over the time watching the kids. I'm saddened I've lost all ability to communicate in Spanish. I tried my best to talk to her, to share a simple gospel message. I told her "puedo leer, pero no puedo hablar espanol." She replied "Pero puedes entener." Yeah, I can." So, every now and then when she wanted to say something, she'd say it in spanish, and I'd ask her to repeat it a couple of times, and I would finally get what she was saying. We'll arrange for an American family that live near them to take her to church on Sunday.
Wang Seng is progressing beautifully. He's a really deep thinker, so we had to teach the most full, comprehensive plan of salvation lesson I have taught yet on my mission. He asked some questions I hadn't even considered, like "If opposition is necessary in all things, then how could we have perfect happiness if we won't face opposition and sin in heaven?" We invited him to be baptized, but he is still not completely sure he believes in Jesus Christ. As he says, he wants to repent, and he would be baptized, but he just isn't sure yet about his faith. We tried to help him realize he has been exercising the faith he has, and that if he would make the decision first, he would gain the assurance he needs. I'm sure it won't take long for him to gain the faith. He has been praying and reading the scriptures every day.
I suspect we'll both get new missionaries and split up the area again in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the packages and thanks to Grandma for the money. I'll go for some souvenirs with it, I think.
I'm not quite sure how we will do sacrament meeting, with the two meetings in 2 different places starting only an hour apart. We'll figure out something.
Love,
Elder Muffler
Here is a picture of Elder Rajah-Kanagasabai from another missionary's blog (Elder Rajah from Australia, Elder Herbst from Salmon, Idaho, Elder Hill from Las Vegas, Elder Tyler from Jackson Hole, Wyoming):





No comments:
Post a Comment