Hello,
Well, definitely the most significant event of the week for us happened on Saturday. On Thursday and Friday, Elder Hall had some bloating and discomfort during the afternoons. Being in a tropical environment, and drinking and eating from the places we do, I'm really shocked that doesn't happen a lot more often. Anyway, finally on Saturday afternoon, we didn't have a single appointment scheduled all the way until the night, so I figured that was a convenient time to go see the doctor so we could get the antibiotics and worm pills and get on with things. We've got this super nice specialist hospital right next to our house. It's got a small hospital, as well as lots of clinics with the specialist doctors. The gastrointestinal guy wasn't in, so they told us to go down to the ER to have them look at us. After a wait, Elder Hall went in and came out very quickly. The doctor wanted a specialist to come down and see him. 30 minutes later, he got called back in. After about 5 minutes, he came out smiling. I asked what the problem was, and he said "Appendix. They're admitting me for surgery tonight." The nurse asked us how much time we wanted before the surgery. I was more than a little surprised. I thought it through, and asked for 2 hours. Thankfully, due to lots of Elders in this area being sick in the past, the mission already had a letter addressed to the hospital guaranteeing payment for things like that, so all we had to do was hand them a letter, give them my information, and then we could go home and inform the mission president and Elder and Sister Spanos. The Spanos's also had a miraculously rare day free of appointments, so they could come and wait with me during the surgery. Elder Hall asked me to give him a blessing before his surgery, which I did. Then we went back to the hospital. Before the surgery, I kept singing a line from a hymn "Repent and be baptized, and have your sins remitted." I wanted to get it stuck in Elder Hall's head, so that when he was under the influence of the anesthetic and other drugs, that would be the first line out of his mouth to the doctors and nurses.
After I got some good pictures of Elder Hall in his hospital gown and cap, they whisked him away for his surgery. It was during the surgery that I found out from President Skelton I needed to stay in the hospital room that night if at all possible. I kind of anticipated that, but didn't really expect it.
Elder Hall's surgery was quick. By the time we saw him again, he was already awake, although still under the influence, so to speak. He wasn't preaching to the nurses, though. I got to see his appendix. Beautiful. The doctor said he has an extra long appendix, about 6 inches (the average is 3), and that rather than being in the normal place on the side, it was in the front, right under the abs. After that, it was a long, long night. They brought me a lawn chair and blanket, but I was up most of the night with Elder Hall. We obviously didn't get the chance to go to church on Sunday. An investigator named Isaac came to visit us after sacrament meeting was finished with us. Also, a member named Sister Mae, who stays in the U.S. but visits here a couple months every year, came. She brought us dove dark chocolate and a couple of big mangoes. Elder Hall still didn't want much to eat, but it was very nice of her. Later, after sunday school and priesthood were finished, we had probably 15 members and invesigators come. A recent convert young man blessed the sacrament for us. Sister Loh was also there. We had joked before the surgery happened that Sister Loh would come, that she would scold Elder Hall for waiting so long and not coming to the hospital sooner and for somehow causing his appendix to be infected or extra big. We also speculated that she would bring Suguna and tell us to teach her while she went and did something. And, well, that's almost exactly how it went down. Of course, Elder Hall was in no condition to teach, so I shared a scripture and finished with that.
It was really a nice experience to have the sacrament brought to us. All too often, I take the sacrament for granted. I forget that taking the sacrament is the renewal of a covenant, every bit as significant (and perhaps even a bit more) as the baptism ordinance. As it was, though, it was wonderful to be able to take my thoughts out of that beige space of boredom to something higher. I know that, as the prophets have taught, seriously taking the sacrament allows us to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost more fully. I was reading this week in the New Testament Institute Student Manual, where it was pointed out that the reason for this is that the Holy Ghost is a God, no unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God, and so when action is taken to make us more clean, we can be sure to feel the Holy Ghost more.
It was fun to be able to talk to the Malay nurses. We don't get the chance to talk to actual Malays much. I really liked the older lady from the cafeteria, who instead of using the word "I", used the word Auntie. She said "Auntie doesn't like eating spicy food." Because there are a couple of handsome white guys, that spoke malay, we drew a lot of attention among the staff. One of the girls asked when our free day was and asked if we wanted to go somewhere with her. Ai-yo.
Elder Hall's recovery has been a lot slower than I expected it to be. We really have to take it easy. He can still barely walk around. After all, he did have a hole cut in his abdominal muscles, and those muscles are used for almost any sort of movement. Poor guy. On top of that, he had diarrhea yesterday and says he has a sore throat today. He won't be able to ride a bike for a month. President Skelton told him to just take it easy. So we'll be out of commission for a while. Yesterday, we did make it to the church and taught a couple of investigators there. It was really hard on Elder Hall to go downstairs to the car, so that is about all we'll be able to do for a while.
The members have been very kind during this whole ordeal. They have called and visited frequently. Sister Chris has brought a ton of food. On Monday morning, I had a choice that really makes me think my tastes have changed. I had the option of Sister Spanos bringing me cereal and fruit and such, or Sister Chris would bring me McDonalds breakfast or breakfast from any restaurant. Without hesitation, I asked for pau, steamed Chinese buns. She thought that was really funny, but she already knew I love pau, and so that's what she got me. I enjoyed them thoroughly.
I have been gaining plenty of weight lately. When Elder Perrot came last week, he pointed out that he could see it in my face. I'm getting a double chin. I can either decide to start eating less, eat what the members give and be unhappy about it, or eat what the members give and be grateful for it. I'll choose the latter. Eat, drink, and be merry, and worry about it later.
Sister Cathleene is doing fantastic. As a side note on Friday, after we had taught our lesson, Elder Hall felt impressed to mention the word of wisdom. She said she knew smoking was wrong and fully intended to quit, but didn't feel anything but surprise about coffee and tea. When she came to the church to be taught last night, she said she has completely stopped drinking coffee and tea. She came to church on sunday, and is doing just as awesome as ever. I think she'll be ready for baptism very soon.
I remember when I first got to the mission, the Elders who we were staying with would always imitate the voices of members, of other missionaries, of people that sold them things or worked at restaurants, of people they had only met once. I noticed they were just really good at imitating other people's way of talking. I thought that was their being naturally talented, but I've noticed lately I've been developing the skill as well. I think I do a pretty good impression of the Indian nurse pretty well. I've been cooking for Elder Hall and making him vitamin fortified hot chocolate (there is an inspired Australian brand of hot chocolate called Milo. It's pretty much the most amazing drink ever).
For the time that Elder Hall isn't on a bike (after he can walk again), we'll probably rely on the Spanos's, the members, and taxi's. I'm glad this mission is relatively liberal on expenses. When it comes between taking a taxi to go teach somebody about the most important thing they'll ever hear, or saving the few dollars it would take, we pay the few dollars, which the mission readily reimburses.
Love,
Elder Muffler
Whats been going on?
11 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment