Hello,
From different parts of the scriptures we learn that there are some places or objects associated with God, and others with the devil. Surely we all know temples and churches are associated with God. Perhaps less commonly known is that the waters are under the power of the devil in these latter-days. (D&C 61). The sign of the dove signifies God, the serpent signifies the devil. Well, I've come to realize there are significant extra-scriptural applications to this idea. Experience has taught me that mutton curry, air conditioning, and haggar brand slacks must have divine influence in them. Street dogs, fax machines, and bicycle air tubes must be under the domain of the other guy. I have learned much about bicycle air tubes during the last week. Those watching us most carefully during the past week might think Elder Hall and I really enjoy taking time out of our day to pull over to the side of the road, flip over the bikes, and spend time slowly figuring out how to change the tube of air. It has happened 4 times. You would be proud. I fixed my own today (granted, Elder Hall helped significantly, and if it hadn't been so obviously difficult I would have rode off once with the chain disconnected and another time without brakes).
Suguna is better than ever. "The show of [her] countenance doth witness against [her]" The woman that used to give us blank, emotionless stares now smiles so easily and often when we are together. She still hasn't drinken alcohol for the past week and a half. The one problem she continues to struggle with is a widespread herbal hallucinagen called beetle leaf. She has gone down from eating it 30 times a day to just 3. Yesterday, when we were teaching her, her youngest daughter woke up crying. Strange as it may sound, it marked a very significant change to see Suguna welcome that daughter with a hug and set her on her lap. Suguna has also introduced one of her nieces to us. Angely is a 10 year old girl who lost her parents and lives together with her grandmother and other relatives. The grandmother asked that Suguna bring Angely to church along with Suguna's son of the same age, Michael. Hopefully, they'll both be ready by the date we have chosen, the 27th of this month.
Elder Hall and I have been really working well together. His enthusiasm is inspiring. I now realize that so many times I have written off some efforts as being naive, when I should have realized that I simply lacked faith. For example, on Sunday, Elder Hall and I were getting ready to go home after an appointment fell through. We've both made a concerted effort to not travel anywhere to quickly, to stop and share the Gospel along the way as much as we can. Elder Hall stopped and talked to a little Indian kid I thought couldn't be more than 10. He immediately asked if we could come by some other day. I told Elder Hall I thought it would be foolish to set a return appointment with a 10 year old without any sort of parental involvement. So he proceeded to ask for the father's phone number. As it turned out, I have met Julian (that boy's father) before. Elder Shipp and I ate in his restaurant. We set a return appointment, which Julian and his wife (who are both Methodists) were well prepared for and it was a good lesson all around.
We're babysitting a Mandarin-speaking Elder who is from another area in our zone. His companion went to Singapore for a visa run, and because there is no couple or other missionaries where he is serving, he gets to come with us for a couple of days. His name is Elder Robison. He is a lot of fun, plus really useful with the Chinese people.
Yesterday, we had the funniest prayer experience I have had yet on my mission. It's the only time I've ever not been able to hold in laughter during a prayer. We were riding around contacting people who were outside of their homes, when we started talking to an old Chinese lady who lives alone and was so anxious for company. After she gave us cold juice and it became clear she didn't want to learn about Jesus Christ or the church, we got ready to go, and suggested we could have a prayer. Elder Hall offered the prayer, which was something like this "Heavenly Father, we are so thankful for the kindness of this woman to us. Please bless her and all of her family with health and prosperity" I DON'T HAVE A FAMILY!, she said in a way none of us could have missed the meaning. Right in the middle of the prayer. It still makes me chuckle thinking about it.
Let's see, what else. Time is flying here in Ipoh. 6 weeks already.
Love,
Elder Muffler
Whats been going on?
11 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment