Hello family,
I had such a fantastic week this past week, especially over the weekend. Let me tell you why.
On Friday, our zone leaders came to Sandakan and we went on exchanges. Friday night, Misdi was interviewed for his baptism. When we came back home at night, I found out he passed and everything went well. I also found out that Misdi requested that I do his confirmation. That news came with a lot of emotion. Sure, it's exciting to do a confirmation, but Misdi doesn't speak any english, so I would have to do it in malay. That was kind of a scary prospect. I knew, that on the Lord's errand, I would be entitled to the Lord's help, but I also knew that I would have to be ready to recieve that help. I prayed a lot on Friday night and Saturday morning.
Saturday afternoon, we had come home because Elder Dhillon was feeling sick. I was reading in Psalm 69:10, which says "When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach." I had thought about fasting before that, but after reading it, it really became clear that I should. I know that seems kind of odd, given the context of the scripture. Really, I think any reference to fasting in the scriptures would have had the same effect on me.
So, I decided to fast for 3 things. First, I fasted that my tongue might be loosed as I confirmed Misdi a member of the Church, gave him the gift of the Holy Ghost, and blessed him. Second, I fasted so that I could be more focused on my mission: I'd been thinking about home too much and I felt like I needed a lot of help to focus. Third, I fasted for physical strength, and specifically that the 8 hours of sleep I get every night would give me the energy and strength I needed.
I spent most of Saturday trying to memorize the words to the confirmation in malay, as well as phrases I might need to say in the blessing, like faithful, and righteous. It was very difficult. I'm still a beginner at this language, and I didn't memorize a whole lot more than the very basics.
Saturday night was Misdi's baptism. It was wonderful. Under the influence of fasting, I really felt the Spirit. I could tell Heavenly Father was pleased with Misdi on that special occasion.
---Editor's Note: part of email removed---
Sunday morning found myself in the chapel. I expected a miracle during the confirmation, and I experienced one. But the miracle I experienced was far different than what I had expected. As I laid my hands on Misdi's head, I didn't stumble with any of the words of the confirmation I had worked so hard the day before to learn. After I had told him to recieve the Holy Ghost, the first words that came out of my mouth were "Misdi, your Heavenly Father loves you." I could feel so strongly that that was what Heavenly Father really wanted me to say. I said a few more broken sentences about going to church and enduring to the end, then closed. I guess I expected that I would speak words that I didn't know, and give some eloquent, eloborate blessing. That's not how it happened. God happened to give a simple message, but I know that that is what I was supposed to give.
And as for the third part of my fasting, I slept better on Sunday night than I can remember for a long time. I know that God answers prayers. I know that fasting is very important in helping us accept changes in our lives, and in preparing us to recieve and appreciate blessings and answers to our prayers.
I'm seeing so many blessings from missionary service in my own life, as well as those I serve. I just feel this lasting, steady happiness. Sometimes I kind of get distracted from feeling that way by the day to day hardships, but it rarely takes more than bearing a testimony or saying a prayer to bring it back.
Sincerely,
Elder Muffler
Whats been going on?
11 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment