Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Letter #15 - Week of 21 May 2008 - Visa Run and Out of Water

Happy Birthday Mom!


Tiga Dawi, Jeffrey bin Tiga, Elder Muffler, Jonathon bin Tiga, Joseph bin Tiga, Rosemarie in their home.


Misdi and Elder Muffler in Misdi's home.


Zone Conference in Kota Kinabalu


Hello family,
This week went very well. It felt like I was away forever with zone conference and my Visa run to Singapore. I was gone from Monday to Friday.

My visa run to Singapore was enjoyable. Singapore and Malaysia are so different from each other. Rather than ride old dirty buses, we travelled on luxurious double decker buses with satellite tv and air conditioning. I also got to ride the underground trains. They've got the coolest way of paying for things. You put money on a card. You stick the card in your wallet. Then, when you walk into the train station, you just tap your wallet to a machine as you walk by. It's so easy.

I was actually pretty happy to come back from Singapore. I guess I'm really starting to enjoy everyday things like the food and the attitude of the people here.

Monday night, I was rinsing my toothbrush when the water stopped flowing. I turned on the shower head, and a little water came out, then it stopped. I didn't dare to try the toilet. Tuesday morning, after a lot of phone calls, Elder Dhillon and I found out that we hadn't had water since Thursday. It's a fairly frequent problem to have water shut off for a couple of hours here. Normally, though, we don't see any effects from it, because we have 2 big water tanks out back. Well, as I said, it was in the morning time. Elder Dhillon was able to squeeze enough water out for his shower. I had none. Well, that's a white lie. Like I said, we have two tanks. Apparently, one of them supplies water for our upstairs bathroom. The other supplies water for our downstairs where thankfully we have a small bathroom with a toilet, as well as a kitchen. So, I filled up the pail we use for mopping, and I grabbed the pot I use to cook pasta in, and I went upstairs and took a shower as best as I could. That's how a lot of our investigators have to bathe, and it makes me appreciate things a little better.

We actually still don't have water, and it may still be a few days. We're not too worried though. Once our other tank runs out, we found a company that will come and fill both tanks up for 30 dollars or so. I think Elder Dhillon will call them today so they can come tomorrow.

While I was in Singapore, I went on exchanges with two of the elders. I met one of the recent converts there, Benjamin. He's a 20 year old Chinese young man. He makes me laugh. We went up to the Distribution Center in Singapore, and talked to a woman named Jean Yee, who runs the Center. The first thing I remember Benjamin saying was "Elder Ho told me that you can tell how beautiful a girl will be when she grows up by looking at her mother, and Jean Yee- she's a good mother."

Benjamin took us out for dinner at a Hong Kong Cafe (the elders say that his family is extremely wealthy, and he could easily pay for that). I just ordered some noodles and pork, but we also had what's called Dim Sam. I had an egg roll, and a few different kinds of pork, and some chicken feet. Yum. Chicken's feet. Really, they're just fat on bone. I don't care for them, but it was okay to eat.

Andrew, I ran into an elder who says that he met you before. His name is Elder Nixon, and his brother served in your same mission, and he went with his brother to meet you one time, or something like that. Do you remember an Elder Nixon?

My language is still progressing. I'm starting to be able to be understood, but I've still got a long way to go.

Sincerely,
Elder Muffler

No comments:

President Hinckley's 6 B's