Well, right now I'm in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. This city is crazy huge. I don't know what the population is like, but I'm sure it's the biggest city I've ever been in. Denver area probably has more people, but here it's a lot more concentrated, and the buildings are a lot more big. I got to sneak a glimpse at the Petronas twin towers last night (hopefully we'll get to go up them tonight after dinner). They were really cool to see lit up at night.
Alas, this is my last zone conference with President Skelton. This zone conference is so much different than the one in Sabah. There are 4 times as many missionaries that come to this one as there are that go to the one in KK. So, we rode a bus for 3 hours last night to get here. After we got off the bus, it was quite a challenge to get a taxi that would take us to the apartment. Not that there aren't plenty of taxis. It's just that KL taxi drivers are infamous for cheating people with outrageous prices. I recieved a warning "Don't let them overcharge you. It's possible to get home with 15 ringgit." Well, when the bus stopped in the downtown terminal, there were 5 taxi drivers that had surrounded the door shouting "Taxi! Taxi!" Obviously, the first target was the 2 white people in professional clothing. I just ignored them: I wanted to go eat first, but Elder Hall asked, just to see how much they wanted. The first offer was 80. Ridiculous. We went to eat some naan then found a taxi for 20. Note: Naan is a round flatbread made from white flour. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naan
I got some new shoes and socks last week. I wasn't going to buy shoes, but when I saw one pair I knew I couldn't find anything better, so I got it. It's a pair of hush puppies. I'll send pictures later. So, thanks Grandma and Aunt Kathy for the shoes and socks!
Heber City for Andrew? Interesting. I actually know where that is. Elder Niederhauser was from Heber City. His father is stake president there. Also, Elder and Sister Spanos, the couple in Ipoh, is from Heber. Elder Spanos used to be the sheriff, and Sister Spanos was the judge (for a different county: they didn't totally control the town).
This was a good week as a whole.
It's been way good to work with Elder Hall. We've been working well together. For the most part, we've been teaching part member families.
The Kam Family is fun. The whole family was learning from the Elders before, but only the oldest two children got baptized, and when the older son moved away, the younger daughter, Angely, went less active. Her mother, Sister Kam, says it is too hard for her to bring her two children to church (I'll admit, they are the craziest two young kids I've ever seen.) She also says that, although she has prayed many times, she has never felt an answer. Well, I don't know if she truly doesn't recognize her answer or just doesn't want to follow it, but we'll be working with her.
Let me tell you, the differences in income of people in this mission amaze me. Going from sitting in dirty wooden houses with dirt floors to sitting on leather seats in BMW's makes you think.
We'll also be teaching a young man named Melvin. Melvin was an investigator a while ago, but got too busy and stopped investigating the church. At the beginning of May, he got in a really bad car accident and spent two weeks in intensive care. The day after he got out, Sister Loh brought us to his home so we could give him a blessing. His face and arms were covered with little red dots, like he had been bleeding all over his body. We asked Sister Loh about it, and she explained that the medicine he had been given was so strong that that was the result. Elder Hall anointed, and I sealed and offered the blessing. Since he won't be doing much else, we also offered to teach him about the church again, and he agreed.
Speaking of priesthood blessings, Elder Hall was really feeling sick yesterday. We reckon it was from a lime drink we got off the side of the road on Tuesday. Being in a super cold bus for a couple of hours wasn't helping much. I did my best to shield him from the air conditioning to make it more comfortable. He was just feeling progressively worse, until he started breathing hard and said "Elder Muffler, will you give me a blessing?" Now? I asked him to lean down a little, then pulled out my oil and gave him the blessing he asked for, with a Muslim lady to my left, a Hindu lady sitting behind me and a Buddhist man in front. He instantly started feeling better, and is doing just fine right now.
We'll be eating at Chili's restaurant tonight and playing futsol. Good stuff.
Love,
Elder Muffler
Click Photos Below to see larger
Good old Ecco quality. Lifetime guarantee.
The new pups- waterproof, I might add. Thanks again to Grandma and Aunt Kathy
Happy Birthday Mom! From the balcony of Elder Muffler's Ipoh Apartment.

Happy Birthday Mom! From in front of the church building in Ipoh.





No comments:
Post a Comment