Hello
This week absolutely flew by. It feels like we have been so busy this last week.
Friday was quite an interesting day. Elder Kunioka and Elder Troxel went on exchanges with us. I got to go with Elder Kunioka to his area, because they had a boy getting baptized on Friday that needed a baptismal interview. The exchange was ... different. Due to a lot of different factors, we ended up waiting at the Douglas's for an hour or two, then we went and had a couple of quick lessons with some part member families, then went to the church. Well, when we arrived at the church, I was greeted by a very upset President Fausto. "When was your interview with Patricia this afternoon?" "1:30, but it was the other Elders. We're on exchanges." "Why did they not come?" I was left a little confused and kind of shocked. After asking a couple of follow up questions, I found out there was a miscommunication between us and Patricia. Patricia came to the church, while the Elders went to Patricia's house. Apparently, though, they had contacted her and told her to stay at the church while they came to give her the interview, but they again did not come. A little worried, I entered the church, apologized to Patricia (who I found out was really happy to be sitting in the church all day. I think it prepared her for her baptism a little better), then Elder Kunioka gave her the baptism interview, which she passed. The other Elders arrived safely about a half an hour before the baptism, and explained how they had called Patricia earlier. They would have come to the church right away, but she told them her intent to stay at the church all day (it being good Friday and she being off of work), and so she told them to take their time, which they did because they had another person to teach in the same place that Patricia lives. After that was through, they came to the church but found it empty, as President Fausto finally persuaded Patricia to leave for an hour or so. No matter, though. She got dressed in white, and the baptism service began at 8:15. President Fausto specifically requested well prepared speakers, who each took about 10 minutes. It was probably 8:50 before we were ready for the ordinance. Well, when the curtains were opened, we found out that I turned the key the wrong way, and the drain had been open instead of closed (explaining why it took so long to fill the font.) I had asked somebody about it, and followed what he told me. After correcting the mistake, we found out that the water system, which was already scheduled for repairs on Saturday, didn't want us to have the baptism. Elder Douglas did some miracles, having worked with machinery in the Canadian oil industry, and we got the font filled. Finally, at 9:20 or so, Patricia was baptized, to the relief of all present. She expressed her gratitude for us and the branch, and told how happy she felt. That was a stressful day.
Saturday was fun. We ate lunch at the Douglas's, because it was Ward Mission Leader David Chiong's birthday. He is such a good kid. I don't know how to describe him. He's very unique, a little on the nerdy side. I definitely relate to him. He invited some friends from school, and we watched the Restoration DVD together. They liked it, and agreed to learn more after final exams in 2 weeks.
Later that night, there was a branch activity, also a birthday party of sorts. It's Sister Douglas's birthday, so she decided she wanted a branch party for everyone born in April. As for the activity, well, the whole branch knows I can dance.
We found a very interesting and interested investigator while waiting on another investigator this week. Her name is Jenny. She is about 19 or 20 years old, and lives with friends, because she has no brothers and sisters and her parents died while she was a baby. During the first meeting, she asked a few odd questions that she couldn't answer like "What can you tell me about Mother Theresa? It's my life ambition to become like Mother Theresa." However, she has since become immersed in the Book of Mormon and our teachings, so I think she will be very good. She was very impressed with our teachings on the Spirit world, and wants to go meet her parents some day.
Earlier today, we got to give a blessing to Aw Yong Loong Khen, who has had tongue cancer among other afflictions for the better part of 7 years. He is bedridden, weak, and obviously cannot talk, but I could sense his gratitude and the optimism he feels despite his affliction. The blessing was requested by his sister in law, who is a member of the branch.
Before that blessing, I got to go with Elder Neil, Elder Grant, Elder Kunioka and Elder Compton to a steamboat restaurant. It was very fun, especially with our new zone leaders, who are very fun people. We walked in and sat at a round table. In the middle was a single burner with a pot of water on top. They started the water boiling, then boiled some vegetables for us, then brought us all sorts of raw fish, chicken, beef, and mushrooms, which we threw in the pot when we wanted, and took when we felt like. There was a ton of good, with a very good sauce to dip it in. It was a good experience. Expensive, but good.
Oh yeah, about Easter. We didn't do anything. No one even mentioned it until the third block. Even then, it was just in passing.
Love,
Elder Muffler
Whats been going on?
11 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment