Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Letter #9 Week of 9 April 2008 - ZL Exchanges and Chocolate Rain






Hello family of mine,

This week went very quickly.
On Thursday, one of our recent converts invited his friend, Joann, to his home so that we could teach her. I actually taught a few principles of the lesson. That was definitely the highlight of my week.

Last Thursday night, my zone leaders, Elder Jugant and Elder Simons flew in from Kota Kinabolu for exchanges. They stayed the night. We had exchanges the next day. I really learned a lot from Elder Jugant. I think he really wanted to test my language ability. In the morning, he told me "You really know more than you think", and he had me teach him each of the lessons to him using words that I knew. They were probably 30 seconds a piece, but it's all good. We spent essentially the whole day tracting. After about an hour, Elder Jugant realized that I know enough malay to introduce who we are, find out whether the person is Islam or not, and begin teaching, so he made me talk to everyone. It was very uncomfortable to do so, because I really can't tell whether people understand me or not, but I was glad that I could do it.











Thank you for the addresses. Could you do me another big favor? I checked, and it's all right to send packages to me. The mission president is completely fine with it, and the missionaries I've talked to have never had a problem with the postal service, so it should be all right. You'll have to send them directly to me, not to Singapore. So, could you send me my miniature scripture quad? I didn't bring it because I was so worried about having too much weight with me when I hop on airplanes, but I realize now that there are a lot of ways to get around it. I don't know exactly where it is, but it is red, and it's in a red case. I'd like both the quad and the case. My address right now is:
Adam Muffler
P.O. Box XXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

I'll probably be withdrawing about $60 soon to buy a long sleeve white shirt (it's a mission rule to wear one on Sundays, I just have been slow in getting one) and a nicer backpack.

On Saturday, we baptized a ten year old boy named Raymond. His mother used to be an inactive member, but now she and her son are fully active. Raymond was the most excited kid I've ever seen regarding his baptism. He absolutely loved it.
I've really enjoyed seeing how our recent converts have become great friends. Raymond, Joseph Tiga, and another boy who was baptized in January, are always playing around together, and their parents talk to each other often. Imagine how awesome it would be if they all went on missions!

We weren't able to see any of conference last week. What usually happens is that they send us the DVD's through the mail, and we watch them (I'm not sure which session(s)) on the next Sunday. But we were able to find out who the new apostle is. After the branch is done with the DVD's, we can take them home and watch whatever we don't get to see at the Church.

I ate some bamboo shoots this week. Yum. Yesterday, the Beczuks took us out for lunch and dessert after our weekly district meeting. For dessert, we went to a place called "chocolate rain". It was a little ice cream and smoothie shop. My companion wanted to have the dish chocolate rain, because we weren't quite sure what it was. The menu said it served two, so I agreed to not order anything and share it with him. The waiter brought out a plate with 8 little scoops of ice cream, a plate of fruit, and a fondue pot with chocolate in it. Besides feeling a little strange for sharing a fondue with my companion, I was very curious as to the flavors of the ice cream. There were 4 colors: 1 vanilla-looking, 1 chocolate looking, 1 green and 1 purple. I tackled the green first. I can't tell what it was. My companion couldn't tell. It remains a mystery to me. I guess it was pistachio, but the flavor was very subtle. The purple one was next. There was nothing subtle about it. It was very strong. I asked my companion to confirm my suspicions, and he did: yam flavored ice cream.

Things are going well in Sandakan.

I'll finish with a scripture that has advice we could all use, Alma 41:14 "Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again. "

Sincerely,
Elder Muffler

No comments:

President Hinckley's 6 B's